Students who wish to participate in the honors thesis program must follow these guidelines:
- Determine that you will have successfully completed five courses 30-level or above before the end of your junior year.
- Determine that you meet the minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.3 for all Dartmouth courses, and 3.5 in the major.
- Obtain a faculty advisor. (Check the department web page for information on faculty interests. Your thesis advisor may or may not be the same person as your Academic Advisor.)
- Fill out and print the application form and write a thesis proposal. Both need to be handed in to the department administrator by April 30. The application form and the proposal must be signed by your primary advisor.
- Ideally you will enroll in SPAN 90 or PORT 90 in the fall of your senior year, and SPAN 91 or PORT 91 in the winter.
- If you will be away on an FSP or LSA during spring term of your junior year, you are encouraged to complete your application by the end of winter term. Extensions will not be given on account of FSP or LSA participation.
Download the Application Form. Make sure to print it and submit three copies.