Minor in Hispanic Studies

The Minor in Hispanic Studies (Spanish). For specifics on each of the requirements consult the ORC/Smartcatalog.

Students who wish to elect a minor must officially declare their plan no later than the end of the first week of the last term in residence prior to graduation (and after they have an approved major on their record). (ORC information)


Prerequisite: SPAN 9 or SPAN 15 (or equivalent)

All minor plans must be approved in person by a Major/Minor Advisor of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese after the student has submitted their online course of study.

The minor in Hispanic Studies consists of at least five courses taught in Spanish and English (one). Approval for this option will be granted and only for a course in English offered by the Department and taken after a student has completed SPAN 20. The five Spanish courses must be distributed as follows:

The Minor in Hispanic Studies consists of at least 5 (five) additional courses, which must be distributed as follows:

1) SPAN 20 - required for the Minor

SPAN 20 is required for majors and minors and counts towards the major and minor. It can be taken concurrently with other 30-level courses. It is a prerequisite for upper-level courses (SPAN 40 and higher).

2) Survey Courses (SPAN 30 - 32) and FSP Courses (SPAN 33 - 36)

Students must take at least one of these courses. No more than two may count toward the minor, except for students doing a Foreign Study Program who can count a maximum of three.

3) Upper Level Courses (SPAN 40 - 77) and Independent Study (SPAN 83)

In consultation with the Major/Minor Advisor, students choose the remaining courses from the upper-level offerings. The Department projects its course offerings up to two years in advance so that students can thoughtfully plan an individualized course of study in consultation with the Major Advisor.

One Independent Study (SPAN 83) may also count as an upper-level course for the Minor. Students interested in pursuing an Independent Study must identify their topic and faculty advisor and present a proposal to their faculty advisor and to the Department for approval no later than the seventh week of the term preceding the term they wish to undertake the Independent Study.

Study Abroad

Students interested in studying Spanish abroad may apply to go on our Department-based LSAs, LSA+s and FSPs and/or look into the CASA (Consortium for Advanced Studies Abroad) programs.

Currently LALACS sponsors the CASA program in Havana, Cuba.


The main requirement to go on this program upon acceptance is fluency in Spanish. Non-native speakers must have completed Spanish 20 or the equivalent. Heritage speakers of Spanish who are unsure of their competence in the language should contact the Minor/Major advisor.

All Spanish minors can request up to 1 (one) credit towards the minor for the course taken in Casa de las Américas in Havana through CASA. (Note the department will only honor courses taken in Casa de las Américas, not Universidad de la Habana)

Please refer to this website to see the list of courses in Casa de las Américas that will guarantee credit in Spanish.

Upon completion of the CASA program, students can request their Spanish credit by emailing our major/minor advisor with copy to the chair of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, indicating the following information:

  1. Name and last name of student
  2. Dartmouth ID
  3. Title of course specifying name of professor